Sunday, January 2, 2011

Let's get to know Japanese cemetery

Assalamualaikum w.b.t (Peace be upon you)

OK, I know this entry sounds little awkward but that's it. I'm going to tell you what I know about the Japanese cemetery. I recently went to Yamaguchi to visit my old friend there. Woke up in the morning and found nothing to do. So I just went out of his house, took a walk around and came across a local burial site nearby. Since it was a rare chance to visit a burial site in my place (Muroran, Hokkaido), I decided to take a close look at those cemeteries. The gravestones are quite unique actually. The design, the height of the grave, everything.

Then I realized some differences at the gravestone. Some gravestone are flat on the top, while another took a pyramid shape. The pyramid-top gravestone allocate small number of the cemeteries. Then there's an old lady came by, visiting her relatives grave. I guess this is the only chance I had to ask about the Japanese grave. So I approached her and asked few questions. I asked her, what's the difference between the flat-top gravestone and pyramid-top gravestone. Then she answered happily, they are to differentiate between the grave of a normal people (civilian) and soldiers or people died during war (combatant or war victims).

Note the difference between the flat-top and pyramid-top gravestone

kamon (家紋). The outer line is usually round shape.

Also, most of the Japanese grave, there's a kamon (家紋) carved on the gravestone. Kamon is a family symbol. If you know something about Japan's warring period (Sengoku period - 戦国時代), you'll notice, every feudal lord have their own symbol. Mostly it took a round shape. I asked the old lady again, that means maybe there are countless symbols out there. Maybe millions or maybe billions of kamon in Japan alone, I make a guess. She said yes. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

The grandest grave. There are some PET bottles on the altar. An offering maybe.

Regarding the height of the grave, from what I understand, it depends on the social status of the deceased or it's family. The higher the gravestone, means the higher the social status of the deceased. It's the same anywhere in the world I think.

The most unique (creative??) grave I found

Dare to open it?

This drawer -like thing is where they keep the bones or ashes of the deceased (remains after cremation). Yeah, I really don't have the guts to open it. It's a windy day actually. I'm afraid the ashes will fly away or worst, got smeared by them....


varieties of tombstone base

I know this entry is short, but knowledge is knowledge right? I hope this piece of information will help those who want to know a lot more about Japanese culture.....at least.

No idea about the wooden sticks. Old-style tombstone...........maybe

Later.

p/s: In Malay tradition, when we visit cemetery, we were prohibited to read names on gravestones. It'll turn you into a fool or you'll gone lunatic. Not sure whether it is true or not. Just to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you say?・どう思いますか?